Nevada State Parks is committed to protecting all residents and visitors through fostering wildfire-resilient landscapes and communities. As the weather warms up and Nevadans spend more time outdoors, we encourage visitors to recreate safely and responsibly to help prevent wildfires, protect lives and property, and preserve our precious natural wonders that we all love.
In the following listed Nevada State Park and Recreation Areas:
Elgin Schoolhouse, Kershaw Ryan, Cathedral Gorge, Echo Canyon, Lahontan, and Spring Valley.
Nevada Division of Forestry’s State Forester/Firewarden will impose the following fire restrictions for all State Lands, Nevada State Park and Recreation Areas listed above, pursuant to NRS 472.040, 472.510, 472.520 and 407.0475. Fire restrictions will be effective at 12:01 a.m., June 30, 2021 and will remain in effect until rescinded.
Fire restrictions are in place for state, federal and local government agencies but may vary slightly. Check https://www.nevadafireinfo.org/ to ensure understanding of the exact fire restrictions in place.
The following acts are prohibited:
- Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire (using wood, charcoal or any other material), campfire or stove fire except a portable stove using gas, jellied petroleum or pressurized liquid fuel outside of a developed camp ring in a developed campground or picnic area (except by permit). These activities may be restricted further by State Park Staff based on conditions and when “Red flag” conditions are in place as indicated by the National Weather Service.
- Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle.
- Welding, or operating an acetylene torch with open flames, except by permit.
- Using, or causing to be used, any explosive, except by permit.
- Discharge, use, or allowing the use of fireworks, tracer rounds, steel-core ammunition, explosive targets, or any other incendiary device.
- Operating a motor vehicle or combustion engine equipment without a spark arrestor and off of existing paved, gravel or dirt roads.
- Operating a vehicle or other motorized equipment in wildland areas without an ax, shovel and at least one gallon of water.
- Discharging a firearm in an area where a Red Flag Warning has been issued by the National Weather Service.
Each of the following persons is exempt from this order:
- Persons with a valid permit specifically authorizing the otherwise prohibited act or omission.
- Any federal, state, local officer or member of and organized firefighting force, in the performance of an official duty.
In addition, each State Park or State Recreation Area may impose more stringent restrictions when they determine that the conditions warrant them. The State Park or State Recreation Area may not, however, be less restrictive.
Violation of these prohibitions is a misdemeanor and punishable by fine of not more than $1,000.00, or imprisonment of not more than six months, or both. Restitution for total suppression and damage costs incurred will be borne by the trespasser.