Heated competition at this year’s Cathedral Gorge Dutch oven cook-offPosted on Oct 21, 2010 in Cathedral Gorge, news | Comments Off on Heated competition at this year’s Cathedral Gorge Dutch oven cook-off
PANACA, Nev. — Cooks, taste-testers, judges and happy-campers converged on Cathedral Gorge State Park for the Annual Dutch Oven Cook-off. This year’s event was a celebration of Cathedral’s, and Nevada State Parks’, 75th anniversary.
The gastronomic exhibition was enjoyed by more than 200 competitors and taste-testers. With more than 25 dish entries, competition was fierce, a true test of each chef’s culinary skills. the winners were:
- 1st Mark Lloyd’s Spud Nuts
- 2nd Bob Rollins Sour Cream-Banana Nut Bread
- 3rd Cory Smith’s French Bread
- 1st Steve Adamson’s Pork Chops
- 2nd Art Cameron’s Wing & a Prayer Stew
- 3rd Kevin Smith’s B-B-Q Pork
- 1st Flake Family’s Summer Squash Melt
- 2nd Steve Adamson’s Potato Ridges
- 3rd Kevin Smith’s Breakfast Casserole
- 1st Cory Smith’s Apple Crumpling
- 2nd Steve Adamson’s Apple Pie
- 3rd Norman Pullen’s Coffee Cake
This year’s people’s choice award, a commemorative 75th anniversary Dutch oven, went to Mark and Gina Lloyd for their Spud Nuts.
Nevada State Parks thanks participants and sponsors, whom without their help, this event would not be possible, and to Jim Morgan “the WolfMan,” who once again provided “music to cook and eat by.”
Next’s cook off will be in September, offering more fun, door and raffle prizes, good food and enjoyment of the scenic Cathedral Gorge State Park.