HIstory of Van Sickle - Lake Tahoe Nevada State Park
As a memorial to his late grandfather Jack Van Sickle, Henry Van Sickle donated 542 acres of his land to the State of Nevada in 1988 to create a new Nevada State Park. Subsequently, the State of California purchased the adjacent land, the Van Sickle family’s former Crescent V Ranch, to connect the park to the community of South Lake Tahoe.
The ranch’s barn, a circa-1914 log cabin and housekeeping cabins from the 1930s-era Three Pines Motel, were all relocated to their current location in 1960. The Van Sickle family operated the Stateline Stables on the site until 1993 with up to 60 horses taking riders on trails throughout the area, creating unforgettable memories for many of Tahoe’s vacationers.
Opened to the public in the summer of 2011, the park is managed by the Nevada Division of State Parks in partnership with the California Tahoe Conservancy.